Attendance and Medical Appointments
Attendance & Timekeeping
At Cedars, we are aiming to set the highest standards of attendance and punctuality. Our target for attendance is a minimum of 96% for each class. We believe it is important to work with parents to improve punctuality and attendance. If your child is absent from school please phone the school office as soon as possible to tell us why your child is absent, and when your child is expected to return to school. The school phone number is: 01254 261609.
- To promote excellent attendance.
- To ensure punctuality.
- To raise the level of achievement.
- To provide an effective but manageable means of monitoring attendance for both groups and individuals.
- To be able to seek for school and/or provide for parents effective and prompt support for families experiencing difficulties over attendance.
- To raise awareness that unauthorised attendance and poor punctuality is not acceptable.
Children are expected to attend school for the full 190 days of the academic year unless there is a good reason for absence. There are 2 types of absence: -
- Authorised – where the school approves pupil absence. These absences may include sickness, hospital and emergency dentist appointments and religious holidays. Medical appointments should be arranged if possible out of school hours. Where this is not possible it is expected that the pupil will only miss part of the day.
- Unauthorised – where the school will not approve pupil absence. These absences include shopping, going to the airport, visiting relatives, parent(s)/carer unwell, excessive appointments without notification.
As a school, we are unable to grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Please refer to our Extended Leave of Absence Policy, which is available on our school website for further guidance.
Please ensure your child is on time every day in school. We have a Breakfast club running every morning at the Upper School from 8.00am to 8.45am. If an early drop off would benefit you and your child then please ask for further information at the school office. The cost is £1.00 each morning, this covers their food, drinks, supervison and access to several activities.
Days off school add up to lost learning
Please don’t let your children miss out on the education they deserve
Please make every effort to make appointments out of school time.
- If you need to make an appointment please explain you can only attend at a time when it will not impact on your child missing education.
- If you cannot avoid a school time appointment please inform admin staff as soon as you are notified by presenting your appointment letter, card or text to request permission to take your child out of school. A photocopy will be taken to go with your child's attendance record.
- Please do not wait to inform us until the day of the appointment or turn up half an hour before the appointment time because if you do not give us adequate notice you will need to wait until there is a convenient break in the lesson for your child to come out of class.